2009-06-20

Father's Day

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874


You can't have a Father's Day without kids. As a Dad I'm always wondering if I'm doing a good job raising my kids. Am I teaching them what they need to know to make the right decisions? Am I doing what I need to do to represent the characteristics that give a person the skill to be a productive member of society and not a burden on society? Do I make it clear that honesty and integrity trump the need to be considered "cool"? I always think that I'm not doing the right thing. However, here are the things I do know:

You might be a good Dad if:
  • Other parents tell you that your kid(s) can come over any time.
  • Your kid(s) get invited back to the same place time and time again.
  • Other parents tell you how your kid(s) have good manners.
  • Your son does the same goofy things that you did when you were a kid (even though your wife thinks it's inappropriate). Hey, boys will be boys.
  • Your kid(s) argue with you but don't talk back to other adults.
  • Your kid(s) show empathy to others.

My kids do all of the above and more so maybe I'm doing an ok job or maybe I'm lucky to be married to their mother.

No comments: