2009-01-09

New Year-Nicer You

Wouldn't it be great if you could just say; I'm going to be a better person to my family, friends, co-workers, and general people I meet. Making a broad general statement is less effective than resolving to make a specific change; something like quit complaining or if you just want to be happier check out Gretchen Rubin's "Ten Tips to Being Happier". Gretchen has many of the same personality traits that I have been working on so it's easy for me to relate and try things that may help. I have serious programing that takes me tremendous effort to change. It's hard but worth the effort.

Recent research shows that while 52% of participants in a Resolution study were confident of success with their goals, only 12% actually achieved their goals. Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, a system where small measurable goals are used (lose a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends. Qurikology Study.

Increase the odds: Set goals; start small and move up. Start with daily easy obtainable goals and to have a clear view of what you want your life to be like. Try this exercise of writing your on personal commandments. Here are mine:

  • Practice Patience
  • The Golden Rule (I figure if I can get this one right the other things will fall in place)
  • Stay in the present moment.
  • Act the way I want to feel.
  • Choose not to take things personally.
  • Forget the past.
  • Don't complain.

I may add others. Working on these will take relentless effort, I'll keep you updated on my progress.

No comments: