2008-11-08

Motivation for the Long Haul

Everyone struggles with staying motivated. It has happened to me two weeks ago. The combination of a change in the weather and a low energy phase seems to be the problem. By low energy phase I'm talking about training hard for a long time peaking and needing to "rest hard" for a short period without compromising my training.

This happens to all of us from time to time. Some people throw in the towel, some people snap out of it. I typically snap out of it. Even though I've done it for years the thought of getting out in the cold to work out doesn't appeal to me now. Also I've trained hard through the summer for a triathlon and cyclocross season just started plus a buddy talked me into doing the Thanksgiving day half marathon.

One thing I am is disciplined. When most people think of discipline it conjures up negative thoughts and images. However, I like the definition byRocannon ; "discipline is way of approaching a task or situation in an organized and effective manner."

As with most things, if you approach things in a haphazard manner you don't seem to end up with the results you expected and having no track set to follow you can figure out where you got off track.

I think of myself as an Athlete. Athletes don't work out, they train. Athletes have a goal and to reach that goal they have a program and a plan.

To stay motivated, start with fairly easy obtainable goals; loose 4 pounds in 30 days, run a mile in 11 minutes in six weeks, walk for 20 minutes ever other day for a month, drink only water during the day for four weeks.

How to keep on track:

  • As a guide, write down your expected training schedule, put it on the calender or frig. Allow for some wiggle room.

  • Refer to exercising as training instead of working out. Working out can seem like drudgery, training for something indicates a goal that you are trying to achieve.

  • Keep a journal of daily activities, food and energy level. I use a spiral bound notebook. This can help you discover the triggers that derail you from reaching your goals.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved. Helen Keller

2 comments:

Lisa Newton said...

"Athletes don't work out, they train. Athletes have a goal and to reach that goal they have a program and a plan."

I love this idea, and never really thought about exercise in this way.

As I'm in the process of training for a marathon, so maybe I am an athlete, or for now, let's just say I'm considering being one........:)

MikeB said...

If you're training for a marathon, I would definitely call you an athlete.

To reach a goal like that a person has to have to have a program and a plan.

Good luck!