2009-04-21

Part 2 Chapter 6

Chapter 6-HOW TO MAKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU INSTANTLY
  • "Philosophers have been speculating on the rules of human relationships for thousands of years, and out of all that speculation, there has evolved only one important precept. It is not new. It is as old as history. Zoroaster taught it to his followers in Persia twenty five hundred years ago. Confucius preached it in China twenty-four centuries ago. Lao-tse, the founder of Taoism, taught it to his disciples in the Valley of the Han.Buddha preached it on the bank of the Holy Ganges five hundred years before Christ. The sacred books of Hinduism taught it a thousand years before that. Jesus taught it among the stony hills of Judea nineteen centuries. Jesus summed it up in one thought-probably the most important rule in the world: "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

That statement is my "Holy Grail" of becoming enlightened and being a better person. The Bible is a thick book but this one statement really sums up what would make the world a much more peaceful place.

It seems a difficult task when I am trying to crank out the things at work or need an answer to satisfy a relentless customer. When I went back to work after my mothers funeral and was confronted by someone who was impatience or unreasonable, I would say to myself; "How would I treat this person if I knew their mother had just died." It helped to soften me up and give them a little more room.

No comments: